Today is Day One of the cleanse, and I already have learned a few things about the Morning Cocktail to make the rest of the week run more smoothly:
The Liver Flush Daily Detox recipe:
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil – anywhere from 2 Tbsp. to 1/3 cup, as you prefer
- Freshly squeezed lemon or lime juice, 1/3 cup
- Fresh garlic, 3-5 cloves
- Fresh ginger, 1/2″
- Cayenne Pepper, dash to taste
- Freshly squeezed orange juice, 2 cups
Put all ingredients in a blender, blend and drink immediately.
- I didn’t allow enough time to do this properly before heading out the door to start my day. I need to either do the prep work in advance, or allow more time.
- That prep work includes dicing the ginger and garlic cloves. I threw them in whole. They didn’t break down in the blender very well, so I was left with chunks that got wasted and poured down the disposal. And, squeezing the juice takes some time, so doing that in advance would be helpful.
- The recipe calls for 1/3 cup of lemon or lime juice. That was about 1.5 lemons.
- It calls for 2 cups of orange juice. That was about four oranges.
- Unless you don’t mind pulpy drinks, it could use a good straining or a lot more blending than I allowed.
It actually tastes pretty good. I was pleasantly surprised. But I was concerned about smelling of garlic at my first appointment this morning. That smell has faded.
I’ve decided to make a big ol’ pot of cabbage soup (from the infamous Cabbage Soup Diet) because it’s not bad soup and it fits in with the rest of the cleanse’s guidelines. I’m not doing this cleanse to lose weight, but if I did that would be a nice bonus. I’m not going to link to a recipe because there are so many out there. Just Google it and find the one that appeals to you.
I’m also going to be eating lots of steamed broccoli and sweet potatoes, which are two of my faves, along with quinoa made with vegetable broth.
For now, though, I’ve only done the Morning Cocktail. I still have to make the soup. I’ll let you know how it turns out.
Wanna join me? I’ll be responding to your comments here and on my facebook page. (You don’t have to do this with me in real time. If you find this series of blogs in the future and want to comment or ask questions, feel free.)
Lisa Bonnice is the author of five books, including Shape Shifting–reclaiming YOUR perfect body (with a foreword by Neale Donald Walsch).